Ministry of health and family welfare is the ministry of the Indian government that has the responsibility of the health of all the people in India. It is charged with the health policy in India. It is also responsible for all the programs including family planning in India.
The current minister of health and family welfare is Harsh Vardhan and he holds cabinet rank as a member of the Council of Ministers. This ministry is mainly composed of two departments – the department of health and department of family welfare.
Department of Health
This department deals with awareness campaigns, vaccination campaigns, immunization campaigns, preventive measures to be taken, and public health. Certain bodies are under the control of this department such as National AIDS Control Organisation (NACO), National health programs which include 13 more programs, Medical council of India, Dental Council of India, Pharmacy Council of India, Indian nursing council of India, Food safety and standards authority of India, All India Institute of speech and hearing, All India institute of physical medicine and rehabilitation, All India Institute of hygiene and public health, Hospital services consultancy corporation limited, Central drugs standard control organization, and National center for disease control.
Department of Family Welfare
This department is responsible for aspects including family welfare, especially in pediatrics, information, education and communication, maternal health, and reproductive health. This department is also responsible for –
National Institute of Health and Family Welfare (NIHFW), South Delhi, International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS), Mumbai, Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), New Delhi.
Department of AYUSH no more falls under the ministry of H&FW. AYUSH is now an independent functionally body with other departments of yoga, Siddha, homeopathy, Ayurveda, Sowa-rigpa, and other alternative medicine.
Bodies that come under the control of this department are –
- Research councils – Central Council in Ayurveda and Siddha (CCRAS), Central Council for Research in Homoeopathy (CCRH), Central Council for Research in Yoga and Naturopathy (CCRYN).
- Educational institutions – National Institute of Ayurveda, Jaipur (NIA), National Institute of Siddha, Chennai (NIS), National Institute of Homoeopathy, Kolkata (NIH), National Institute of Naturopathy, Pune (NIN), National Institute of Unani Medicine, Bangalore (NIUM), Institute for Post Graduate Teaching and Research in Ayurveda, Jamnagar, Gujarat (IPGT&RA) Rajendra Memorial Research Institute of Medical Sciences, Patna Rashtriya Ayurveda Vidyapeeth, New Delhi (RAV), Morarji Desai National Institute of Yoga, New Delhi (MDNIY)
- Professional councils – Central Council of Homoeopathy (CCH), Central Council of Indian Medicine (CCIM). Now let’s have a glance at the ministers of the ministry of health and family welfare.
- CP Thakur (27 May 2000 – 30 June 2002)
- Shatrughan Sinha (1 July 2002 – 29 January 2003)
- Sushma Swaraj (29 January 2003 – 22 May 2004)
- Anbumani Ramadoss (22 May 2004 – 29 March 2009)
- Panabaka Lakshmi (29 March 2009 – 22 May 2009)
- Ghulam Nabi Azad (22 May 2009 – 26 May 2014)
- Harsh Vardhan (26 May 2014 – 9 November 2014)
- Jagat Prakash Nadda (9 November 2014 – 28 May 2019)
- Harsh Vardhan (31 May 2019 – incumbent)
We have discussed much but not their Aims and Objectives. So let’s have a quick look at what their objectives and goals are.
- To promote the adoption of small family size norm, based on voluntary acceptance
- To promote the use of spacing methods
- To ensure an adequate supply of contraceptives to all eligible couples within easy reach
It is not the responsibility of the ministry only to keep all people safe inside their homes, we should also make efforts to help India improve health conditions. At this time of the pandemic, you can follow some of the simple measures to help yourselves and your families.
Use reusable cloth cover, ensure proper cleaning and proper sanitization of your uncovered body parts, cover your nose with a hanky while sneezing and coughing, maintain personal hygiene and social distancing, a gathering of more than 5 people must be avoided.
Make sure to click here for fermanted food